Pages

Thursday, February 13, 2014

The Best Advice I got last year

Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy

The best advice I got all last year was...

Don't compare your insides with someone else's outsides. 

Meaning, you know your struggles, your hang ups, your weird traits, what you are working on. You are well acquainted with your own mess. There is no use to compare all of this with what someone else is presenting to the world. They may seem like their lives are all cute and tidy. People struggle with all sorts of surprising things that you don't even know. That is the weird thing about having so much of ourselves presented in the cyberspace land - too many smiling pictures and tasty looking plates of food. (Although a picture of me fuming at my husband over the stack of dishes he left me while consuming 2 4 donuts is something no one really wants to see). 

Recently I heard people say things like... 

You and Marty are always so patient with each other!

I can't imagine you making Marty mad!

I can't imagine you needing a big ugly cry!

Oh friends, if you only knew. Let's have compassion with each other, and importantly ourselves, and let ourselves off the hook for not being perfect like everyone else, okay?

(So far this is the best advice of 2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment