Pages

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Recipe Book Challenge Numero Uno

So far I have checked one thing off my list and watched "Dude, Where's My Car" which was just as silly as I thought it would be.

One of my goals this year was to cook something out of each of my cookbooks, which is going to be an interesting and delicious quest. 

The first on my list was a total gimme, a family recipe I go to whenever I need a slice of home (get it, cuz its a pie?). Its from a Dutch cookbook called "Eek Smakelijk". Don't ask me what that means, its Dutch people! This cookbook is old and belonged to my Grandma. Its from like way long ago. I know that because in the recipe book it says the recipe was submitted by Mrs. Ken Kleis. And it calls for margarine  Which I never use cuz all I have in my fridge is actual butter and some hippy spread that is supposed to taste like butter.


This is the best apple pie, ever, ever, ever. 

Dutch Apple Pie

9" Pastry shell
5-6 tart apples sliced (Marty likes them peeled too)
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon (I always use way more)
2/3 cup flour
1/2 c brown sugar
1/3 c margarine (or actual butter)


Preheat oven to 425. Combine applies, sugar and cinnamon and place in pie shell. Mix flour, brown sugar, and butter until crumbly. I always make a very generous portion of the topping. Sprinkle over apples and bake 15 mins. Reduce heat to 375 and back 35 mins more. In my old funky oven it takes longer.  



No comments:

Post a Comment