Pages

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Cherries

Once a year I make the same mistake - its almost a tradition. It always happens around this time of year, when I walk into the grocery store and see bright red cherries from Washington sitting there all juicy, just calling my name.

I have a soft spot for eating foods from Washington. I eat an apple from there every day. Somehow it just makes me feel closer to home. I just forget that these cherries are 8 bucks a pound.

I think about picking them from my neighbors yard, making pie with my mom with juice stained fingers, or that one funny story about my dad spitting a pit into his boss's ear on his first day of work (he worked there for nearly thirty years after sending her to the ER on day one).


When I get to the register and check out I am always surprised to find that my purchase is so expensive, having forgot about the 13 dollar a pound cherries somewhere between the spaghetti sauce and the toilet paper.

And I always groan and buy them anyway, and mumble to myself about how I shouldn't have spent 42 dollars on a half a pound of cherries.

But man, they are good.

What produce do you miss from where you are from?

(Another thing I miss from home -good politicians.)

No comments:

Post a Comment