Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

A feel good post

I thought I would follow up a more depressing blog with a bit on the light and fluffy side...

One of my fave 90's artists has a song that didn't get the props it deserved entitled just that - A Life Uncommon. While the entire song is wonderfully written, in my humble opinion, I think that a few lines speak to me especially while I am here.

Lend our voices only to sounds of freedom
No longer lend our strength to that which we wish to be free from
Fill your lives with love and bravery
And we shall lead a life uncommon 

There are plenty of people who pray for peace
But if praying were enough it would have come to be
Let your words enslave no one and the heavens will hush themselves
To hear our voices ring out clear
with sounds of freedom

Each of us has a certain amount of energy, a certain amount of time, a certain amount of strength that we are able to give. I attempt to make an effort to put my energy in places that result in freedom. This to me means putting my energy towards empowerment. I have met many genuine people here in Kenya and I appreciate their honesty and their willingness to share. I am empowered to be myself through those relationships and I hope that in return I can aid in their empowerment. 

I like how love and bravery are linked in this song. I am wearing a bracelet here in Kenya that reads "Jipe Moyo". Literally this means 'take heart' in Swahili, but I read it as 'courage'. It was given to me by the women I worked with in Tanzania. Often it takes courage to love - some of those closest to me are very brave in their love and I admire them. The world provides innumerable opportunities to hate, and to be passive. Often the opportunities to exhibit love must be sought out and are costly. Sometimes those who need love the most are the most difficult to show love to. I like how the second phrase here talks about how praying isn't sufficient (although its important). Peace requires action! Love requires action!

My take-home message: Be yourself, make purposeful decisions as to where to put your energy, and love bravely. 

Here is a feel good quote to end my feel good blog from one of my very favorite books.

"If you care about something you have to protect it – If you’re lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you have to find the courage to live it."
 
 John Irving (A Prayer for Owen Meany)


Two new friends - Janet and Cathrine


No comments:

Post a Comment