Pages

Thursday, July 28, 2011

I am Rad, and So Are You!

Yesterday I had an interview with a staff person here at CFK that does media relations. He wanted a five minute interview about my time in Kibera. He had four questions. The last one was "If you could change one thing about Kibera, what would it be?"

Needless to say, I was stumped. How do you answer this question, period? And in less than a minute? And on the spot? There are as many things that I would change as there are things I would keep the same. Now that I have thought about it a bit I could come up with a pretty decent answer, but this is much after the fact.

Instead, I bumbled through a series of overly cheesy one-liners about working with CFK to teach potential to the youth, yadda yadda yadda. And then I stumbled on this gem, in all my sheer brilliance.

"So basically, I would change the fact that the youth here often find themselves put in a box that restricts their achievement and potential. I would tell them that they each have their own individual talents and potential to be what they want and achieve what they want, and we can work together with CFK to realize that. I would tell them I am rad and so are you."

I wonder what the Swahili word for "rad" is.

Some rad CFK Staffers - Alfred, Moses, Kennedy, Cantar, and Maureen

No comments:

Post a Comment