Pages

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Smile. You're in Kenya.

Today has been one of those days. You know those ones were nothing can seem to go smoothly? I won't bore you with the details. But it reminded me of one on my mantras during my time here.

When my friend and classmate Andria was arriving here in Kenya, she arrived at the visa checkpoint looking a bit travel worn and tired. And reasonably so. Staring absently at the man issuing her the visa, she was greeted with this reply, which I have found particularly insightful. Thanks random-smart-aleck-visa-issuing-man.

"Smile" he said "You are in Kenya. And there is nothing you can do about it".

See you America, in all your glory, in two weeks from today!

My smile last Sunday during the procession, as genuine as they come.

No comments:

Post a Comment