Pages

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Curious? Then this is the place for you!

I am a curious person. That is part of the reason why I love new places, especially drastically new places. Like large urban settlements half-way across the globe. Rarely does a day go by when I don't say to myself (or whoever is nearby) "Huh. I wonder why ...."


Some things I am curious about:
  • How exactly did that Bellingham Boys and Girls Club Basketball 2005 t-shirt make its way all the way here?
  • Where the heck did that dog that looks half beagle/half golden retriever come from? I have yet to see either a beagle or a golden retriever.
  • What the heck is a ghetto ambulance? 



  • How the heck do they get those shoes so clean, day-in and day-out?
  • What is the fascination with Shania Twain? No, really. What is it?
  • How can you resist these faces?
Photo credit: Ladyejane Vickers
  • Who taught the kids to scream "HOWAREYOU" on repeat at every white person that goes by?
  • Who is that driving a hummer? That bright yellow hummer?
  • Who the heck told EVERY HAWKER along my street my bloody name? And no! I don't believe your name is Arsenal!
  • Whose pigs are these?
Photo credit: Ladyejane Vickers
  • Who was the first person to drop the "up" from the phrase "pick-up"? Now I say "come and pick me here" and "She isn't picking her phone"
  • Does anyone ever actually accept those marriage proposals? And who taught you to call all mzungu girls 'princess' and speak only in falsetto during these proposals?
  • Who does the painting of the signs in Kibera? And who comes up with those awesome names? 
  • How the heck did they get that many people into that matatu? And why did I agree to get in too?
  • When a random matatu conductor comes up to a mzungu lady in a matatu and after touching their white skin say "I like this. Can you give me your contact info?" does that ever work? 
  • How did Kibera manage to get under my skin so much that I am already plotting planning my return?
Ladyejane and I on the hill above Kibera


No comments:

Post a Comment