Pages

Monday, August 20, 2012

back to it

I came to Honduras a few days early to have some get-my-feet-wet fun before we start the REALFUN.

Since I came on Wednesday, I have had the chance to get to know a bit how things go in Honduras. This helps when the REALFUN starts and I inevitably have to trouble shoot, rework, and smooth over.

I am lucky enough to have a great team with me here (and arriving tomorrow is a familiar face!). Justin is a kindred spirit from the PNW and an employee for the organization we work with, and Rony is a local guy who is (un)lucky enough to help out the hapless gringos who arrive in need of support, transportation, translation, and a good laugh.

I have had the chance to see a full day of technician classes, which included a hands-on tutorial of fixing an x-ray from 1952 (something to add the ol' resume!). Friday was mostly random tasks and Adventuro Number Uno. Saturday we slept off Adventuro Numero Uno and then went to Rony's parent's place for a bbq that consisted of eight adults and 16 lbs of meat and an introduction to the local music which I learned is best appreciated after a few cervezas while wearing full cowboy garb. I also embarrassed myself royally attempting to salsa dance, so check that box off. On Sunday we went, you'll never guess, to a Tae Kwon Do tournament (game? match?) to see Rony's kids compete. This day was topped off by a whopper with bacon and cheese.

I love traveling for days like this - watching martial arts while eating a whopper and listening to everyone scream "kick her in the head!" in Spanish. What a world we live in.

So by the time this morning rolled around I felt that I had gotten enough of a taste to at least start to do my job. Now its back to it! Good thing I still rock the scrubs.

No comments:

Post a Comment