Pages

Friday, March 8, 2013

Thank you notes

My mom taught me to write thank you notes after receiving a gift or if someone did something nice for me. This was ground into me as a small kid, having to take time after the sugar rush of eight-year-old birthday parties to spell out the names of my friends and thank them for the Polly Pockets.

But now, as an adult, I keep this tradition going. I think that it is a polite way to show my gratitude. And who doesn't like getting something in the mail?

I have received a bit of flack for still doing this apparently antiquated appreciation and not giving it up for a "yo, thanks" text message or a shout out on Twitter. I know about the times a'changing and I am fine with receiving thanks via modern methods - no worries friends. But I have stubbornly stood by writing a heart-felt note while feeling a little like I should sign up for that Twitter account and get with the times.

But yesterday I had my faith restored by my dear friend's children who wrote me a hand-written note as a thank you for a book I had sent them. I am now much more confident in the next generation. Although that  phrase does make me feel antiquated.


So thanks Kari for your sweet kiddos - I am glad to know that you are out there being a fabulous mom. Your kids are welcome to come for a sleepover at my place any day.

(As long as the thank you is in the mail the next day.)

Do you send thank you notes? Am I totally alone in this? What's the best way to say thanks?

No comments:

Post a Comment