Pages

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Cookbook Challenge: Dutch Babies

Remember my cookbook challenge? Almost halfway through my 28th year and I am certainly not half way through my cookbooks. Find some past recipes here, here, and here.

I have been making Dutch Babies forever. I just now learned that Marty thought it was something that my mom (with her Dutchish heritage) made up. Knowing my mom, I can't blame him. But no, this is not something she made up. But something I learned how to make in my home, in middle school home-ec, and in girl scouts.

I love big breakfasts on the weekends. And this is an easy go-to from a cookbook I received three of as wedding gifts. The Joy of Cooking.  We eat one of these recipes with some powdered sugar or honey.

Dutch Babies (2 to 4 servings)
1/2 c. milk
2 large eggs
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c. flour
4 tbsp butter

Set rack in lower third of the over and preheat to 425. Whisk milk, eggs, and salt together. Add flour until smooth. Melt the butter in a 10-inch cast iron skillet or oven proof pan in the oven or on the stove. Once melted, tilt the butter coat the pan. Without stirring, add the batter. Place the skillet into the oven and bake for 14 minutes. Lower the heat to 350 and bake until the pancake is puffed and brown, 10 to 15 minutes more.

A note about my picture: It is a bit burnt on the side and real crazy looking. I don't mind the real crazy looking part, but to make it a little less burnt you can cook this for a minute on the stove before putting it into the oven. Or just watch it a little closer than I did.





No comments:

Post a Comment