Pages

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Kibera Reflection #4 - A letter



Dear Kibera,

We have been together for a while now, you and I. We have had our ups and downs (no, literally, I won't forget falling down that muddy hill). I didn't know what to expect when we finally met, after all this time online. Thanks for sending that picture, although it didn't do you justice. At first I couldn't quite get past your rough exterior, but during our time together I have found that on the inside you are dynamic and interesting and it was worthwhile to dig a bit deeper to get to know you. Although I can scarcely say that I know you, I have come to understand that below the gritty surface, you have much to offer.

You can be tough at times! Even though I have learned from my previous experiences with Rocky Mountains and Tide Pools to step lightly and be surefooted, you have tested me in unexpected ways and made me find a new sense of balance, in many senses of the word.

Thank you so much for introducing me to some awesome new friends, friends that I hope to have for quite some time. And thank you for being patient with me. This was my first time getting to know such a large urban settlement.

Thanks for the laughs, even those directed at me. The laughter brought us closer, don't you think? Reminded us of everything we have in common.

Let's not say good-bye, okay? Just see you later? Sawa?

Sawa.

Yours,

Chelsea

No comments:

Post a Comment