Pages

Friday, June 29, 2012

My Saturday Breakfast

I am guest posting over at K and K test kitchen this week with my usual saturday breakfast! I thought I would share it with y'all. Check out the website, you can see it over there ----> in my blog stalking list.

Enjoy!

I love making a big breakfast on Saturday mornings. Growing up my Dad always whipped up something great on the weekends, as he was the one up the earliest. Somehow I have come to expect something yummy on Saturdays. At my house, I am in charge of Saturday morning breakfast. My husband makes the bacon and I make the main dish.

This is my go to recipe. I grab a fresh loaf of Challah at the local food co-op on Fridays. This recipe feeds 2 people (with big appetites) using half the loaf. The other half goes into the freezer for next weekend! You can also use french bread or brioche, but I find Challah to be a perfect balance between the plain french bread and the too dense (and too expensive) brioche.

Ingredients

1/2 loaf Challah bread, or 8 - 1 inch slices
3 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 Tablespoon cinnamon
Butter for the pan

Cut the challah into 8, 1 inch slices. You can make them thicker if you want, but make sure to increase the cooking time.


In a bowl big enough to dip your bread, mix 3 eggs and 1 cup milk. I use skim milk, but you can use pretty much any kind of milk. Whisk eggs and milk together. Add 1/2 Tbsp cinnamon and mix. If that sounds like too much cinnamon put less! I just love cinnamon.


Heat a frying pan on medium to medium high heat and put enough butter on  the pan to grease it up. Make sure that your butter doesn't burn and put a little more on the pan after each round of cooking the french toast.

Dip one piece of Challah bread in the egg mixture at a time, coating each side and making sure that the mixture is soaked through the whole slice of bread. Don't leave the bread in the mixture too long, if it gets too soggy it will fall apart. Once dipped, place on the warm pan. Be sure to whisk the mixture between dipping every two or three slices or the cinnamon will rise to the top and you will get one really cinnamon-y piece.


Cook the first round of slices 3-4 minutes. Flip each piece and cook an additional 2 minutes. Make sure it is cooked all the way through - it should bounce back when you touch it. The french toast may be a bit more brown that you are used to because of the cinnamon. Once cooked, keep each slice in a warmed oven while you are cooking the next round. 


I serve the french toast with vanilla yogurt and fresh berries, and of course real maple syrup. But you can top it with whatever you would like - powdered sugar, butter, maple syrup, jam... 


cinnamon challah french toast recipe

Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment